● The security situation in Bangladesh was relatively calm and stable. However, consequence of abortive coup attempt by few misled members of Army, intermittent political hostilities, frustrated investors resorting to vandalism, RMG workers locked in clash with police, sudden attack of Nipah virus, unremitting campus violence, few number of murders in the capital and elsewhere by unknown gunmen and criminals, armed mugging/robbery in several areas including the capital, abduction of people, recoveryoffewdead bodies, increased activities of militants and extremist while RAB and police hunting them all‐out, recovery of few number of weapons and ammunitions, quite a few petty crimes in the capital and decreased fatalities in RTA’s were observed.
● Road Traffic Accidents (RTA): Reportedly, 62 people were killed while 354 were injured countrywide. This brings fatal RTAs to a total of 364 persons killed and 905 injured during the year 2012.
● Top Level Army Officers Reshuffled: On 26th January 12, Dhaka 9 Division GOC Major General Ashrraf Abdullah Yusuf was posted as AG to Army HQ. Bandarban Brigade Commander K.M Mominur Rahman was transferred as GOC of 9 Division with promotion as Major General. Earlier Adjutant General Abu Belal Md. Shafiul Haque has been transferred as GOC Comilla. Former GOC of Comilla Major General Mohammad Kamruz Zaman was closed at Log Area for involvement with recent foiled up in Bangladesh Army. Brig General Tariqul Alam was also closed at Log Area for same incident.
● 4 Killed As Cops Fired On And Local BNP Unit Called Half-Day Hartal(Laxmipur And Chandpur): On 29th January 12, four persons died in Laxmipur and Chandpur towns when police fired on demonstrating BNP activists and supporters. To protest the killings, local BNP units called for half-day hartal in Chandpur and Laxmipur towns on 30th January 12 which was ended peacefully.
● Khaleda Zia Led Rally In Dhaka: On 30th January 12, BNP brought out a mass procession led by its Chairperson Khaleda Zia to mount pressure on the government for a restoration of the caretaker government system. The route was confined between Nayapaltan and Moghbazar intersection.
● Dhaka City AL Kicked Off Rally & Jubo League Formed Human Chain In Mothijheel: On 30th January 12, the Dhaka metropolitan Awami League's rally demanding punishment to war criminals and those trying to foil the trials kicked off in front of the party's Bangabandhu Avenue office. Leaders and activists of Awami Jubo League, an associated body of the ruling party, formed a human chain at Mothijheel area protesting what it said was the opposition's recent plot to topple the elected government.
● Jamaat Man Killed In Clash With Cops & BNP-Led Alliance Called Half-Day Hartal In Rajshahi: On 30th January 12, a Jamaat-e-Islami activist was killed and around 80 others, including 19 cops, were injured in clashes between law enforcers and Jamaat-Shibir men in the city's Hatim Khan area of Rajshahi District. Thus BNP-led four-party alliance called a half-day hartal in Rajshahi city on 31stJanuary 12 to protest the killing.
● BNP Held Protest Rally: On 31st January 12, BNP observed Countrywide Protest Day in Dhaka, all District and Upazilla’s to protest against alleged repression and killing of opposition activists by law enforcers and ruling party alliance.
● ‘Criminal' Killed By Rivals: On 26th January 12, an alleged criminal was found dead in a marshland at Narayankandi village along Chuadanga-Jhenidah border area.
● Kushtia Jubo Dal Leader Murdered: On 26th January 12, a Jubo Dal ( student wing of BNP) leader was killed by three alleged drug peddlers following a feud over illegal drug trade in Housing Estate area of Kushtia District.